Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Edible Weeds, Diet & Suppliments

Old 27-11-2015, 06:18 PM   #11
Jan W
Sub Adult

We are in the process of making a new home for our torts and their 'garden' will have 6' fencing round that goes 18" into the ground. We were advised to do this for our chickens at this height and depth and decided to do the same for our torts. We have foxes, badgers and a big problem with moles. May be a bit over the top, but I want to protect them and obviously keen for them not to escape.

Jan
Jan W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2015, 06:28 PM   #12
CherryBrandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finsky View Post
Thanks..'scribbling all the suggestions down on paper...list is getting longer and longer'...yep, I have all that kind of 'stuff' plenty around.

Hmm..I wonder now if I should leave the ground 'as it is with some improvements (sand, grit etc) and use some sort of 'material' vertically under the frame to prevent digging out....OR...if it would be 'safer' bet to dig out the soil from the whole pen area (say foot deep or so?), line it with thick horticultural weed membrane (type that still allow drainage but wont rip) and then fill it back up with now loosened and 'improved' soil that has been mixed in all the drainage stuff..and then plant/sow some greenery in...weeds, tufts of grass, edible flowers, small bush or something etc etc.
Hmmmm....???
If you observe his behaviour it will give you an idea. , they are all very different just that Horsfields are prolific diggers. Personally I wouldn't bother with a membrane as it will rot over the years anyway even though looks pretty tough now. See what he does, maybe the natural substrate is hardy. Some Horsfields do buck the trend also ! They are very gregarious by nature so a solo one may not be escaping all the time....cant wait for next year and lots of photos , CB
Old 27-11-2015, 07:42 PM   #13
Finsky
Incubating

The soil here is not easiest to dig, even with spade...so yes, maybe that would throw some challenge to my tortoise...'I hope'..
As for the 'membrane', the type I was thinking do not rot as it is made of woven plastic...some that I have used in my garden has been in use for 15 yrs and still as strong as new....but it is job and half to shift that much soil around and I'm not getting any younger...if I can get easier way round, I'll take it.

Just ticking off all the different ideas and options to narrow down my master plan for the summer palace..slowly getting there..

Would chicken wire underground be safe option then...Putin would not hurt himself if he were trying to dig through?

ETA; I'm just answering to my own enquiry....I could use chicken wire, which would make the pen safe from outside intruders and use inside added layer of polytunnel plastic or the weed membrane to stop tortoise cutting itself into wire...should it try to get out. That should do it!
(another idea listed to my master plan...::

Last edited by Finsky; 27-11-2015 at 07:49 PM.
Finsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2015, 02:15 PM   #14
Jan W
Sub Adult

Oh my goodness, given me lots of thought for what I am doing!

We put a membrane down in their current home, but Beatrice cleverly managed to get herself underneath it, but did not dig any further. So far my two only seem to dig a little and most of their shell is exposed. That may be because I put small towels in the dry areas and they seem happy to burrow under those.

What I have noticed is how much they like dappled shade.
Jan
Old 28-11-2015, 04:38 PM   #15
Finsky
Incubating

Was that membrane on the boundary only or did you line the whole area?
I have noticed mine like towels too! I have now lots dog towels, tortoise towels, hubby's towels...strictly my towels!!! And everybody seems to be happy with it.. I even used to have some towels for my beehives...but since the summers have not been that hot last few years..there haven't been need for those anymore..

Last edited by Finsky; 28-11-2015 at 04:41 PM.
Old 28-11-2015, 10:18 PM   #16
Catwoman63
Adult

My horsfields are excellent diggers and even better at climbing, I have even caught one of mine a foot up a conifer tree so beware lol x

0.3.0 - T Horsfieldii (Xena, Zelda & Lilly)
2.2.0 - TG Terrestris (Zeus, Astreus / Zagreus & Alexia)
1.2.0 - Zebra Finches (Gunner / Bonnie & May)
0.1.0 - SBT (Hazel)
1.0.0 - FBD (Ted)
Catwoman63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2015, 10:39 PM   #17
Jan W
Sub Adult

Quote:
Was that membrane on the boundary only or did you line the whole area?
I have noticed mine like towels too! I have now lots dog towels, tortoise towels, hubby's towels...strictly my towels!!! And everybody seems to be happy with it.. I even used to have some towels for my beehives...but since the summers have not been that hot last few years..there haven't been need for those anymore..
The membrane covered the whole area, but it was double layered where it overlapped, so she would go wherever there was a gap!
Jan
Old 29-11-2015, 12:11 AM   #18
Finsky
Incubating

Ah...thank you and that is good point to remember, should I go 'there'....not to layer but to get big enough single piece to cover the area!!! 'scribbling that down in my notes...'
Old 29-11-2015, 01:46 AM   #19
Finsky
Incubating

"a foot up in the conifer tree...!!!" ...are you sure you have tortoises in the garden? Little kittens perhaps?

Hmm...'writing down to notes'...'prepare fort knox kind of security'..it has to have electric fencing, extra tall walls that can take nuclear explosion and radiation, reinforced super thick layers unground to keep tortoises in and foxes out Only the best for my Putin..
Old 29-11-2015, 09:49 AM   #20
Catwoman63
Adult

Quote:
"a foot up in the conifer tree...!!!" ...are you sure you have tortoises in the garden? Little kittens perhaps?

Hmm...'writing down to notes'...'prepare fort knox kind of security'..it has to have electric fencing, extra tall walls that can take nuclear explosion and radiation, reinforced super thick layers unground to keep tortoises in and foxes out Only the best for my Putin..
Haha, yeh that about sums it up, you got it spot on.

Yes my Xena the adult was climbing up inside a conifer tree, they are great characters and that's why I love them x

0.3.0 - T Horsfieldii (Xena, Zelda & Lilly)
2.2.0 - TG Terrestris (Zeus, Astreus / Zagreus & Alexia)
1.2.0 - Zebra Finches (Gunner / Bonnie & May)
0.1.0 - SBT (Hazel)
1.0.0 - FBD (Ted)
Catwoman63 is offline   Reply With Quote