Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 29-12-2015, 05:14 PM   #11
mcgregor
Incubating

I tried a "hearing" experiment with my two Hermanns. For a few days when providing food I repeatedly said one's name in a high pitched voice and knocked on wood, then said the other one's name in a low pitched voice and clapped. I was hoping they would associate the different patterns as being their own unique food-call. Sad to say after about a week of this complete idiocy they showed no response to approach me when they couldn't see any food. So I don't know how well they can hear or whether they just can't process the information in a way that a cat or dog might.
Old 30-12-2015, 12:52 AM   #12
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

Great stuff. Please do try more experiments - you're having such fun! My belief is that their hearing is very basic. But they do some vocals when mating - I wonder if those vocals have any meaning for the tortoises involved?
Old 30-12-2015, 02:51 AM   #13
Splinter
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgregor View Post
I tried a "hearing" experiment with my two Hermanns. For a few days when providing food I repeatedly said one's name in a high pitched voice and knocked on wood, then said the other one's name in a low pitched voice and clapped. I was hoping they would associate the different patterns as being their own unique food-call. Sad to say after about a week of this complete idiocy they showed no response to approach me when they couldn't see any food. So I don't know how well they can hear or whether they just can't process the information in a way that a cat or dog might.
If you did this test with people I suspect you would get the same response, at least if you were to scream my name while knocking on a piece of wood, I would not approach you unless the grub looked good!
Splinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2015, 10:47 AM   #14
CherryBrandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinter View Post
If you did this test with people I suspect you would get the same response, at least if you were to scream my name while knocking on a piece of wood, I would not approach you unless the grub looked good!
Ha ! reminds me of when we were kids but with a bell...(still in the family too), .....Some of my lot do run over if they hear the bag of weeds like Stellanne's, most look a bit non plussed to be honest.

Definitely just out of hibernation one of mine will come over without food or treats and try and crawl on my feet sometimes if he is out of the enclosure.

I have posted this hyperlink below before I think.....maybe it is the accent....

Maybe scream in a Scottish tongue and wave a haggis about instead of the wood knocking? ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTpgqgfJs4w
Old 30-12-2015, 05:12 PM   #15
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgregor View Post
You might have a better chance with smell:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2015, 11:45 PM   #16
markbigears
Incubating

Munster loves the colour yellow! James did an experiment with him and Lego! Red, blue, green, yellow bricks about 6 inches apart .... Constantly ran over to the yellow one and tried to munch on it!
Old 31-12-2015, 08:31 AM   #17
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbigears View Post
Munster loves the colour yellow! James did an experiment with him and Lego! Red, blue, green, yellow bricks about 6 inches apart .... Constantly ran over to the yellow one and tried to munch on it!
I think experiments using colour was done quite a few years ago.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2015, 03:38 PM   #18
Stellanne
Hatchling

Probably right Sandy.... Dandilion flowers, pansy and sow thistle...... I am sure there is a long list.... But then other flowers seem popular, mallow (pink and white), hibiscus (blue, white, red and pink), blue sow thistle..... I thought the attraction was the strong smell of the flowers. X x x. Hugs x x x
Stellanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2015, 08:01 PM   #19
CherryBrandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stellanne View Post
Probably right Sandy.... Dandilion flowers, pansy and sow thistle...... I am sure there is a long list.... But then other flowers seem popular, mallow (pink and white), hibiscus (blue, white, red and pink), blue sow thistle..... I thought the attraction was the strong smell of the flowers. X x x. Hugs x x x
Think yellow is definitely a favourite, dandelion spritz. Mine love everything clover. CB