Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > Introduce Yourself

Old 19-11-2015, 10:11 PM   #1
Finsky
Incubating

Default Newbie from Notts. UK

Hi there!
Huh...I finally found 'introduction pages'..so here I am.
I am proud lady owner of newly landed Horsefield's 'gent'..or that's what I think he is. I wasn't looking to get a tortoise..nor even thought about it but one came across in need of home and urgently so..of course I couldn't miss the opportunity. All my life I have rescued and looked after all manner of animals...but never any tortoises.
I do have some 'rosy' childhood summer memories that involves a tortoise...me and my cousin and her tortoise... so I have always carried fondness towards these animals.
My Horsefield's tortoise was first christened as 'Henrietta'..but when I had to learn about tortoise keep in rather rapid fashion..I came across info about sexing 'torts'...and I think it might not be 'she' after all.
And being so robust and greedy individual, though not very big and having indentified him as 'Russian tortoise'..Putin is what came to my mind.. Once the name came out of my lips...well it stuck..
Anyway...enough my ramblings...looking forward to explore the site more, soak in lots of more info and get to know more of you fellow keepers....time will tell where this new 'adventure' will lead...( I just might have room for some more turtle housing in future, already looking around garden....
Finsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2015, 06:22 PM   #2
CherryBrandy
Adult

welcome Finsky to the forum. Horsfields are always a favourite and little rascals to boot! Mine have given me hundreds of days of smiles , they can climb good so watch all escape routes up down and under !! good luck and look forward to some photographs' maybe, CB
Old 25-11-2015, 09:37 PM   #3
emma_mcraf
Adult

Welcome to the forum.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2015, 10:18 PM   #4
vikki
Hatched

Hello - tortoises are a bit addictive - I started with one, and now have two........
vikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2015, 11:47 PM   #5
Finsky
Incubating

Thank you for the warm welcomes girls!
Uhh..talking about 'bit' addictive....I have already found myself day dreaming of addition of teeny little crawlers!
I have never had any need to have babies, puppies, kittens etc. BUT, I just can't get over how interesting and cute looking young tortoises look.
I'm trying to keep my brain in charge and not give into my heart's 'baby' urges quite yet...lol...and I shall wait patiently until next year and see how Putin and I get on first.
Chap has now gone to his 'beauty sleep'. I wasn't going to let him do that at first, for not knowing his back round and as I have only had him so short while. BUT, he is total 'woodhead', decided he is not going to eat anymore, nor come out of his 'bunk'..no amount of heat, baths, lights etc. seemed to help and after taking him out of bed and placing him under lamp...he has just stubbornly been turning around and done sleepwalk back to his den. I couldn't argue with him anymore and because he has stopped eating and not pooing anymore, last night I started prepare for him his hibernation box..in which he moved today. Plan is to keep his winter rest fairly shortish..just to be on safe side..and see how we go on after that.
BTW...is there kind of 'good practice' or regulations with tortoises age, how young tortoise one can buy or they can be released for sale?...just curious..
I have already been busy body and posted some photos of Putin in 'photos' section.
Old 26-11-2015, 04:40 PM   #6
CherryBrandy
Adult

not sure there are any set regulatory codes or in statute, but is based on the principles and rules of selling animals, welfare acts, code of practice and code of conduct in general terms.

There is a view that some hatchlings are sold too young, but in experienced hands you could argue what is too young? My guinea pigs were born at home, I was capable of looking after them but I would never have given them to someone who couldn't demonstrate capability or understanding at a day old....

It is probably too general. I think its is usual to have tortoises up for sale at around 5 months old but it probably differs across the country anyway? CB
Old 30-11-2015, 08:15 PM   #7
Suze65
Adult

Hello and welcome to the forum.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2015, 08:23 PM   #8
Suze65
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finsky View Post
Thank you for the warm welcomes girls!
Uhh..talking about 'bit' addictive....I have already found myself day dreaming of addition of teeny little crawlers!
I have never had any need to have babies, puppies, kittens etc. BUT, I just can't get over how interesting and cute looking young tortoises look.
I'm trying to keep my brain in charge and not give into my heart's 'baby' urges quite yet...lol...and I shall wait patiently until next year and see how Putin and I get on first.
Chap has now gone to his 'beauty sleep'. I wasn't going to let him do that at first, for not knowing his back round and as I have only had him so short while. BUT, he is total 'woodhead', decided he is not going to eat anymore, nor come out of his 'bunk'..no amount of heat, baths, lights etc. seemed to help and after taking him out of bed and placing him under lamp...he has just stubbornly been turning around and done sleepwalk back to his den. I couldn't argue with him anymore and because he has stopped eating and not pooing anymore, last night I started prepare for him his hibernation box..in which he moved today. Plan is to keep his winter rest fairly shortish..just to be on safe side..and see how we go on after that.
BTW...is there kind of 'good practice' or regulations with tortoises age, how young tortoise one can buy or they can be released for sale?...just curious..
I have already been busy body and posted some photos of Putin in 'photos' section.
If you have just got a tortoise, it's normally not a good idea to hibernate it the first winter, if you don't know much about its background , but if he has wound down you will have to go with it now, maybe only give him eight weeks. In terms of getting another one, male horsfields are better on their own unless he has a harem of females, and two males will most likely fight, they are quite aggressive, he will be quite happy on his own. But if you get another and keep it separately , there are plenty of breeders on here who would be able to help you.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2015, 08:35 PM   #9
Finsky
Incubating

Thank you for the welcome
Yes, he decided not playing the game and wanted to have a good 'snooze'..even pair of match sticks would not keep his eyes open
I am trying to hold on to my will power and let Putin teach me how to get on with him first before jumping into further challenges.
As I'm just on the planning stages for his summer 'palace' in the garden..I'm already planning it with possible later addition or partition in mind..you never know if there is need for that...
As it is now...one step at the time...