Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Edible Weeds, Diet & Suppliments

Old 12-01-2015, 12:15 PM   #1
Ksolo
Egg

Default ammounts

HI all

how long would 2kg of food last a single tort I am trying to work out a monthly cost before committing to one. (just the feeding costs) and so I would know when to order again.
Ksolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 04:37 PM   #2
Pussygalore
Adult

I'm afraid the majority of food should be weeds (free) and shop bought greenery through the winter, if you added pellets a couple of times a week at the rate of only two or three well soaked then they would last you months. Pre Alpine which I mentioned before again even if added everyday would again last for ages as you only need one or two of the cobs or a teaspoon or so of the baby, the cost of feeding a tort is minimal and in the summer if you can feed mostly weeds almost nothing. The main costs come from your heating in the winter and light/heat bulbs which I know can be worked out but don't know how, initial costs will be the most from buying the lights etc but they last a minimum of 6 months many a lot longer and then its usually the uv thats going not the actual light. Everything lasts a long time as its given in such small amounts ie a sprinkling of a supplement such as nutrobol or similar anyway its the intial start up costs that can be costly but even they with a bit of searching on line can be reduced by a lot from shops.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 04:54 PM   #3
becciwales
Adult

I have 5 hermanns, they range from 4 months to almost 2 years. This winter I have been spending on average £2-3 a week on florette crispy bags. In the summer that was £1 plus weeds, I usually top them up with some as they love it. x

1:2:0 Testudo Hermanni Boettgeri -
Darwin, Galileo, and Einstein.

Archimedes (THB) RIP June, 2018
becciwales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 05:15 PM   #4
Ksolo
Egg

that's fantastic I am excited but yet so nervous at the same time, I don't want to make mistakes.
Old 12-01-2015, 05:38 PM   #5
Pussygalore
Adult

the best way, if you get an older tort, is to find out what its been fed on even if you think its a bad diet, carry on with it and change to what you want gradually, torts don't like change and many don't eat for a few days when moved so having the same food is at least something it will recognise.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 09:46 PM   #6
Ksolo
Egg

Thanks for that I will remember and I will come here for advice when the time comes. It is rather exciting but nerve wracking lol