Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 27-06-2015, 10:26 PM   #1
vikki
Hatched

Question microclimate evo

Hi. Has anybody used or got ant knowledge of the Microclimate Evo? It looks like a really good thermostat/timer but at £90 it is not cheap so wondered if anybody could recommended it (or not!!) It appears to do everything I could want and does come with a 5 year warranty so I am tempted
vikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2015, 10:34 PM   #2
burnt toast
Adult

No experience of this product but theres 15% off at Swell!

http://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/rept...vo-463310.html
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2015, 11:09 PM   #3
vikki
Hatched

Thanks - just had a look but they are out of stock it does say more is due so will keep an eye on it
Old 28-06-2015, 08:48 AM   #4
Pussygalore
Adult

aren't they more aimed at viv's? you don't really need anything like that for torts, simple creatures that they are
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2015, 07:23 PM   #5
vikki
Hatched

Yes I think it may be slight "overkill"!!! and will probably go back to original idea of lamp on timer!! I think I was just amazed at what they could do and got blinded by the technology!!
Old 28-06-2015, 08:20 PM   #6
wigwamman
Juvenile

a venture on ebay will find you a habistat dimmer for £30-£35 and if it ever goes wrong they will fix it for £12. cant go wrong in my opinion,and yes i can peel an orange in my pocket!!
wigwamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2015, 10:53 PM   #7
vikki
Hatched

Thanks have considered that (have a look at my thread "recommended thermostat") but I liked the ability with the evo to set different temps at different times of day, change type of stat, record 24 hours of temperatures etc. etc. that was why it was very tempting for a short while - it was kind of like a kid in a sweet shop wanting everything!!!! (I still do think it would be quite good but am going to start with complete basics monitor temperatures/tortoises behaviour etc. and go from there )
Old 29-06-2015, 08:55 AM   #8
Pussygalore
Adult

would those sort of things work with combined lights or just with separate ? don't viv's use different heat and lights to tables I assume they'd be less wattage if nothing else. The open tables temps depend very much on the room temp and in the summer most torts should be outside, if not and the room gets to hot I simply used to close the curtains, open the window and even have a fan in the room and turn off the lights until the room had cooled down plus don't put the table in the window or sun during the summer. Its very much like being outside then and the tort will dig down if it gets to hot and come out later in the day.

Last edited by Pussygalore; 29-06-2015 at 08:59 AM.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2015, 11:11 AM   #9
vikki
Hatched

I don't think you can use any sort of thermostat with a combined bulb which is what I have indoors but this is not in a viv but open top table. The thermostat was for a basking lamp in the outside shed where the uv would not be necessary
Old 01-07-2015, 11:50 AM   #10
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

I've used microclimate products and found them to be be good and not had a failure, but I've not tried this one.

The Evo is not intended specifically for inside a viv and it can handle 600 watts on each of two channels.

Vikki that's correct - you can't use any kind of thermostat with a combined lamp.

A habistat dimming stat and a cheap timer can work just as well if you only want one temperature set up for when you are in 'on' mode. But that is limiting your options hugely.

A gadget with an electronic timer causes less lamp failures than a simple mechanical timer attached to a thermostat.

I think Habistat are in the process of moving over from their traditional designs to microprocessor based ones.