Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 19-11-2017, 08:37 PM   #1
burnt toast
Adult

Default Bach - Attacked Hermann

https://imgur.com/a/Ad8UZ

Trying to figure out an alternative to photobucket! But have a feeling this wont work
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2017, 08:44 PM   #2
burnt toast
Adult

I have put them the wrong way round! Most recent first. Bach was found. Dont know if he was abandoned before or after being attacked.

He had a hole through his left lung & was infested with maggots when I collected him ( that was a bit daunting!) Luckily I had F10 wound spray in my cupboard & this was very effective ( to prevent & treat flystrike)

Anyway the hole has healed & his skin has gone from red & sore looking to actually changing colour to match his shell. He is such a brave little chap & has eaten all the way through

Last edited by burnt toast; 19-11-2017 at 08:46 PM.
Old 20-11-2017, 10:40 AM   #3
emma_mcraf
Adult

Poor Bach, what awful injuries to suffer. But he's clearly in the very best of hands. Well done Lynn for taking so much time to make him better. It really is noticeable the change in his skin from the original photos to how he is now. That's down to your care and dedication. I really applaud you.
Thanks for sharing. It just shows what can be done with lots of TLC. It makes me shudder to think of how he sustained such horrid injuries and then flystrike too.

Seriously, well done. You've done an amazing job so far and it sounds that despite all he's gone through, he's been so brave.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2017, 12:54 PM   #4
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnt toast View Post
I have put them the wrong way round! Most recent first. Bach was found. Dont know if he was abandoned before or after being attacked.

He had a hole through his left lung & was infested with maggots when I collected him ( that was a bit daunting!) Luckily I had F10 wound spray in my cupboard & this was very effective ( to prevent & treat flystrike)

Anyway the hole has healed & his skin has gone from red & sore looking to actually changing colour to match his shell. He is such a brave little chap & has eaten all the way through
You have done a great job, and must have learnt so much going through this. I know I did:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2017, 06:58 PM   #5
Jan W
Sub Adult

Poor little Bach. You have done a great job. His eyes look so clear.

I love his dressings - very snazzy. What did you use?

Keep us updated.
Old 20-11-2017, 09:09 PM   #6
CherryBrandy
Adult

What a poorly little thing Bach was - that looked so very nasty but glad on the mend, it will take ages. Reminded me of Gomez who didn't make it but that's because he was reinfected as soon as it was opened up. and couldn't keep it closed.
Is that a horse bandage Lynne? they are brilliant aren't they - I use them on me ! don't stick to skin but stick to the material without pressure or glue.

IMGUR is very good - what has happened is you've posted it on their site. And then added the link to SW rather than the image. what you need to do is when logged in (top right) is

select Images from the drop down rather than Gallery selection
and then move your images across from your computer
or if you have one there click onto one in your 'images'
and on the right should come up a list - choose BB code (copy) (allow)
and choose size - large thumbnail at the bottom of the screen....
copy and paste on SW and the image should appear in preview.

CB
Old 20-11-2017, 09:35 PM   #7
burnt toast
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy View Post
You have done a great job, and must have learnt so much going through this. I know I did:0)
Yes Sandy, steep learning curve.

Clare the bandages are "vet wrap". Very snazzy (& expensive!) I just used a blue version from the pound shop which did exactly the same job.

When I got him I cleaned his wounds with hibiscrub gave him metacam & an injection of baytrill (which luckily I had in) used f10 spray & twezers to remove the maggots, it was a bit " belt & braces"! When I sat down the the night, I read an article by Royal Dick vet school & realised I had done everything wrong! Fortnum is the best antibiotic for animal bites and hibiscrub can damage tissues! So he went to the vets on the Monday where they debrided the broken fragments of shell & checked with an endoscope, the f10 had killed all the maggots. This is the third month now.

Thanks for the good wishes x
Old 20-11-2017, 09:40 PM   #8
burnt toast
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBrandy View Post
What a poorly little thing Bach was - that looked so very nasty but glad on the mend, it will take ages. Reminded me of Gomez who didn't make it but that's because he was reinfected as soon as it was opened up. and couldn't keep it closed.
Is that a horse bandage Lynne? they are brilliant aren't they - I use them on me ! don't stick to skin but stick to the material without pressure or glue.

IMGUR is very good - what has happened is you've posted it on their site. And then added the link to SW rather than the image. what you need to do is when logged in (top right) is

select Images from the drop down rather than Gallery selection
and then move your images across from your computer
or if you have one there click onto one in your 'images'
and on the right should come up a list - choose BB code (copy) (allow)
and choose size - large thumbnail at the bottom of the screen....
copy and paste on SW and the image should appear in preview.

CB
Thanks Clare most of my photos I take on my phone, so I actually downloaded the app & managed to go through it on my phone.

I have two tablets, don't know if they would be the same? Or work like a laptop (mines on a mega go slow!!)

I remember your Gomez, so sad. I had never heard of fly strike in torts before that but he was at the forefront of my mind
Old 20-11-2017, 10:27 PM   #9
Gordon
Adult

You have done an amazing thing with this tortoise a very big pat on the back from me.
I think tortoises are one of the most amazing complexed animals on the planet that just always amaze me.
They just seem born survivors I have seen ones that have been run over had a short back and sides with mowers burnt in bush fires even used as a chewy toy by lions and survive just how many animals can survive all that.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2017, 10:14 AM   #10
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
You have done an amazing thing with this tortoise a very big pat on the back from me.
I think tortoises are one of the most amazing complexed animals on the planet that just always amaze me.
They just seem born survivors I have seen ones that have been run over had a short back and sides with mowers burnt in bush fires even used as a chewy toy by lions and survive just how many animals can survive all that.
And this makes you wonder why some keepers think tortoises are so vunerable:0)
They would not be around now if they were:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote