Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Edible Weeds, Diet & Suppliments

Old 15-03-2017, 07:42 PM   #11
Janie
Egg

Hello,

Feeling a bit paranoid now. I have bought marigold plugs from eBay, how do I know which they are? I have also bought separately some campanula as I thought they could eat that too. If you could help that would be great. J x
Janie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2017, 10:00 PM   #12
burnt toast
Adult

Hi Janie
I can't get the tortoise table to work I know they have relaunched it recently & it might have had some glitches.

I'm pretty sure Marigolds are a no. But will ask others to add their thoughts.
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2017, 10:06 PM   #13
burnt toast
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janie View Post
Hello,

Feeling a bit paranoid now. I have bought marigold plugs from eBay, how do I know which they are? I have also bought separately some campanula as I thought they could eat that too. If you could help that would be great. J x
Campanula are definitely edible. Are they from a garden centre source or animal edible?
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2017, 11:00 PM   #14
Janie
Egg

Hi, thanks for the advice. I bought the campanula as plugs off the internet. Do you think these might be harmful and how or where can I buy the one that is ok for them? I went on the tortoise table to see what I liked for them but think that I may not have read this thoroughly enough. J x
Janie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2017, 03:19 PM   #15
nina
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janie View Post
Hello,

Hi Janie,
Yes, there are two different plants called Marigold. The African Marigolds and the Pot Marigolds have very different looking flowers and leaves. Here is our entry for the Pot Marigold
http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/p...3#.WMqdcaJBqNI
Can you see that it has sort of oval or pointed leaves with smooth edges? It is the edible one.
Here is our entry for the French or African Marigold
http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/p...4#.WMqdzKJBqNI
The leaves on this plant have little points all along the edges of the leaves and they are narrower. You ought to be able to see which one you have from the photos, but if you are still unsure then post a photo of your plugs.

And yes, all Campanula are edible -- leaves and flowers - so your torts will enjoy a nice treat.
If anyone is havng difficulty accessing our website, it might be because you are using an old version from your cache, so either clear your cache or just try typing in the full address:
www.thetortoisetable.org.uk. If you still have trouble then contact us at contact@thetortoisetable.org.uk and we'll do all we can to help.

Nina
Old 16-03-2017, 05:58 PM   #16
CherryBrandy
Adult

Simply very helpful Nina, learning something new on your relaunched site. Its brilliant...ive already said that I know but visually and informative I don't know any site that matches it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nina View Post
Hi Janie,
Yes, there are two different plants called Marigold. The African Marigolds and the Pot Marigolds have very different looking flowers and leaves. Here is our entry for the Pot Marigold
http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/p...3#.WMqdcaJBqNI
Can you see that it has sort of oval or pointed leaves with smooth edges? It is the edible one.
Here is our entry for the French or African Marigold
http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/p...4#.WMqdzKJBqNI
The leaves on this plant have little points all along the edges of the leaves and they are narrower. You ought to be able to see which one you have from the photos, but if you are still unsure then post a photo of your plugs.

And yes, all Campanula are edible -- leaves and flowers - so your torts will enjoy a nice treat.
If anyone is havng difficulty accessing our website, it might be because you are using an old version from your cache, so either clear your cache or just try typing in the full address:
www.thetortoisetable.org.uk. If you still have trouble then contact us at contact@thetortoisetable.org.uk and we'll do all we can to help.

Nina
Old 16-03-2017, 07:50 PM   #17
nina
Adult

Thanks so much for your lovely compliments! It's feedback like yours that makes all the effort worthwhile. The work on the database never stops -- we're constantly adding, revising and changing entries in the light of newly published research, so it seems like a never-ending job. But we're so glad that people find it useful!
Old 16-03-2017, 08:02 PM   #18
Suze65
Adult

If you saved the old site to your favourites, it won't work, you will have to save the new site.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2017, 08:13 PM   #19
nina
Adult

Yes, that's true, Suze. The new site overwrote the old site, and even though the url is the same: www.thetortoisetable.org.uk you have to type in the new address completely. If your computer completes the url for you halfway through typing it, that means you are using your old cached url, so you have to type the complete address, and then save the new site to your favourites for the future. It's all a bit complicated and irritating, but we'll get there in the end!
Old 26-03-2017, 08:15 AM   #20
kkenny
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by nina View Post
Thanks so much for the kind comments everyone! There are still lots of glitches to fix -- many of the apostrophes have changed to diamond shapes with question marks in the middle, the Forum isn't there yet, lots of the links aren't live, the search facility is nearly there (but not absolutely perfect), and the maps are only just being uploaded. Fixing most of this has to be done by hand and will take a while, so lots of gnashing of teeth and shedding of tears to be done before it's finished, but we're getting there!

We hope people will be patient while we sort out the teething problems, but do let us know if you see anything glaringly wrong. Everyone has been so supportive and we do hope that the site will be more attractive and easier for people to use when it's complete.

Cheers,
Nina
Hi Nina,

Love the site. Thanks for offer of seeds but i'm good for now, just ordered loads from Shelled Warrior's shop.

Spartacus, THB, March 2013
Henry, THB, July 2008
kkenny is offline   Reply With Quote