Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Edible Weeds, Diet & Suppliments

Old 11-05-2016, 11:15 AM   #1
hoppysara
Egg

Post suggestions on food

Hello all
my horse field is 2 years old loves dandelions and leaves like lambs lettuce but I'm wanting to try other things. I'm growing some seeds I purchased from shelled warriors but whilst I'm waiting for them to grow what can I feed him. I've looked on websites but you just get conflicting advice so I thought it's best to talk to people who the same tortoise as me
hoppysara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 11:03 AM   #2
emma_mcraf
Adult

Plantain, Cat's Ear, Sowthistle, Clover....all growing well now and easy to identify.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 10:16 PM   #3
Kirsty J
Egg

Stinging nettles too! Only baby ones though because it's kinder on the tongue x
Kirsty J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2016, 08:39 AM   #4
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppysara View Post
Hello all
my horse field is 2 years old loves dandelions and leaves like lambs lettuce but I'm wanting to try other things. I'm growing some seeds I purchased from shelled warriors but whilst I'm waiting for them to grow what can I feed him. I've looked on websites but you just get conflicting advice so I thought it's best to talk to people who the same tortoise as me
Sowthistle, plantain narrow leaf, plantain wide leaf, shepards purse, bittercress, dandilions, mallow, campanula, aubresia and romaine lettuce but in moderation as it has no real value for a tortoise other than water.
if you go to www.thetortoisehouse.com you will find a great list of suitable plants for horsfields and most tortoises.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2016, 03:43 PM   #5
hoppysara
Egg

Any suggestions on food I can buy at the supermarket for during colder months. Thanks for all the advice so far
hoppysara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2016, 04:02 PM   #6
emma_mcraf
Adult

Safe weeds and flowers are best but romaine, radicchio and lambs lettuce can be used to bulk out weeds through the winter months. Also Pre-Alpin, which can be bought from the SW shop, which is good for fibre. http://www.shelledwarriorsshop.co.uk...unction=search

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2016, 04:59 PM   #7
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppysara View Post
Any suggestions on food I can buy at the supermarket for during colder months. Thanks for all the advice so far
Your tortoise should be asleep in the colder months. Food fed during this time adds to the size of your tortoise that is not needed. And can add to pyramiding
Supermarket foods are junk foods for torts. Far better to feed dried weeds. And some weeds you can get then, such as Bittercress, and tree mallow. Weeds if grown in a sunny sheltered place can and do survive colder temps:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2016, 08:22 PM   #8
Jan W
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy View Post
Your tortoise should be asleep in the colder months. Food fed during this time adds to the size of your tortoise that is not needed. And can add to pyramiding
Supermarket foods are junk foods for torts. Far better to feed dried weeds. And some weeds you can get then, such as Bittercress, and tree mallow. Weeds if grown in a sunny sheltered place can and do survive colder temps:0)
I had weeds all through the winter and while they were asleep dried them. Sadly they turned their noses up when they came out of hibernation, so I was up early hunting for fresh weeds and did resort to some lambs lettuce as a treat.