Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Edible Weeds, Diet & Suppliments

Old 03-05-2011, 07:33 PM   #1
Petrus
Banned
Juvenile

Default Agrobs Pre Alpin Cobs

After our discussion on diet I thought I would give these cobs a go, so I've ordered some. I know a few keepers use them and speak highly of them. I just wanted to ask a few questions before they arrive.

I know they are soaked, but do you feed them on their own after that or mix in with the weeds? Did the tortoises take a while to get used to them? What differences have you seen in your tortoises?

Many thanks.
Petrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 07:36 PM   #2
ibizathetort
Adult

I haven't given them a go yet I think Helen has, would be interesting to see how yours get on with them
Hatchling Horsfield - Bora
Hatchling Horsfield - Bossa
Hatchling Horsfield - Jet

ibizathetort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 07:39 PM   #3
Helen M
Adult

Send a message via MSN to Helen M
Wink

I fed it during the winter with mixed salad and whatever weeds I could find. I added water until the pre-alpin stopped soaking it in usually. My little ones did eat it but the adults weren't quite as impressed.

Helen xx
Helen M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 07:39 PM   #4
Petrus
Banned
Juvenile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibizathetort View Post
I haven't given them a go yet I think Helen has, would be interesting to see how yours get on with them
I'm interested too! They aren't that expensive and seem to have all decent ingredients.

I was counting up the different weeds I offer, and then adding the various plants offered in this and it was close to about 20 different varieties. I'm sure I've ehard that number thrown around as the number of varieties it would take to ensure the tortoise;s nutritional needs are met!
Old 03-05-2011, 07:41 PM   #5
Petrus
Banned
Juvenile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen M View Post
I fed it during the winter with mixed salad and whatever weeds I could find. I added water until the pre-alpin stopped soaking it in usually. My little ones did eat it but the adults weren't quite as impressed.

Helen xx
So is it recommended that you only feed this during winter, or given that it has such high quality ingredients, could you feed it all year round?
Old 03-05-2011, 08:02 PM   #6
TortBabe
Adult

I've tried this only recently, my lot devoured the first sitting, but didn't seem overly impressed the next time I'm going to persist with it though, was most impressed with the poops after they ate it, very dry and hard I've started sticking it to the weeds
Old 03-05-2011, 08:08 PM   #7
Helen M
Adult

Send a message via MSN to Helen M
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrus View Post
So is it recommended that you only feed this during winter, or given that it has such high quality ingredients, could you feed it all year round?
I only added it for the extra fibre as I couldn't find plantains of any kind anywhere. I noticed their poos were noticeably firmer. Kirkie I believe made a thread when using this stuff so he could simulate a spring glut of fresh plants followed by a dry summer. Personally it looked to me like the fibre content was a little too high for this to be fed on its own for long periods of time, therefore I used it in a different way.

Helen xx
Helen M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 08:30 PM   #8
ibizathetort
Adult

That's interesting, using when the plantains scarce
Hatchling Horsfield - Bora
Hatchling Horsfield - Bossa
Hatchling Horsfield - Jet

ibizathetort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 08:56 PM   #9
Anita Sayles
Sub Adult

Send a message via MSN to Anita Sayles

My Marley has the Pre Alpin Baby and loves it, I soak and mix with weeds. He ate it from day one, no problem
Old 03-05-2011, 09:13 PM   #10
Petrus
Banned
Juvenile

I'm still trying to work out if this is something that should only be used in winter, when feeding mainly salad, or if it's so,ething you can feed all year round...anyone? Thanks for explaining what you do , Helen btw