Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Pictures

Old 16-07-2006, 01:16 AM   #21
tortoise_dude

Heres some pictures of them, you must have missed them.
this was in the reptile house, the one with all the birds.
I think its a huge let down, considering the rest of the zoo is so good.
Old 16-07-2006, 01:39 AM   #22
shootinglou79
Sub Adult

are you sure they wernt the yellows?, (now gone) but the galapagos are now there on show, but are housed seperate from the radiated.
shootinglou79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2006, 11:51 AM   #23
tortoise_dude

The yellows where with the radiateds but they where labelled reds.
Why have they gone, did they meet their un-fortunate ending due to the mixing of species?
It really was a let down, this was february 20th 2006- the date on the folder of the pics, which is when we went to chester zoo.
Old 16-07-2006, 01:39 PM   #24
moormax
Incubating

Quote:
The yellows where with the radiateds but they where labelled reds.
Why have they gone, did they meet their un-fortunate ending due to the mixing of species?
I think that the Yellows were on loan by a friend of the zoo. They are probably back at home now.

Well done to chester on the Tort breeding though!!

PIGLET: Why did they make the public area of the reptile house smaller? Are they using this as the off show breeding exhibits, looks like from the pic.
I am at the zoo next wed but don't think that I will have time to visit the reptile house as I am being a keeper for the day. Should be amazing though.[/b]
moormax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2006, 02:16 PM   #25
tortoise_dude

But, if the zoo has such high standards, i don't understand why the yellows would be with the radiateds anyway.
no matter if it was just for two weeks or whatever.
Old 16-07-2006, 02:55 PM   #26
piglet
Adult

Tortoise -dude
Yes i have seen these picture's of yours on tortsmad and though it wouldn't belong before you but them on here but as there is nothing to hide here as you have all your facts wrong i never thought i needed to defend Chester zoo on torts mad .
I too am a member of torts mad but use a different i.d than i do on here .
Now before throwing accusations why not first ask why they are together instead of jumping to conclusions getting the correct answer is far better than being rude about the exhibit or the zoo as you obviously have the wrong story.
Firstly; The yellows were exhibited with the correct sign , Chester haven't exhibited redfoots for many years 4 i think and when they did they certainly weren't in this enclosure as this is a new exhibit and was formerly a Matta matta turtle exhibit.
Secondly; If you had cared to look a bit harder you would see that the Radiateds and the yellows were seperate the enclosure gave the impression that it was all one exhibit something zoos do now it makes it more attractive for the puplic .
Thirdly; Some how we don't nohow he had crossed the barrier and was in that enclosure with the Radiateds possible a member of puplic had put him in there the zoo is extremley busy and we have many school parties who take great pleasure in being annoying as young people seem to like doing these days , since this incident a new barrier fence has been added to stop people climbing in and messing with the tortoises .
Fourthly; The yellows certainly haven't died Chester zoo hold an exceptional vet team that would certainly have checked the male yellow for any possible infection that could have been passed over.
And to round it off these are my yellows they were on breeding loan to Chester who had excellent results breeding them .
When i go to work tomorrow i will take pictures of the ivisable barrier between the enclosures incidently the Galapagos are now housed where the yellows used to be there 5 yrs old and around 16-20 inches s.c.l not difficult to spot.

Darren

17 years old 25 years ago
piglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2006, 03:25 PM   #27
piglet
Adult

The enclosure as can be seen a yellow foot at that time they were exhibited at the zoo in its own half of the enclosure the front .
The invisable divider is hidden amongst the plants in the center of the enclosure you can just see the beginning of it on the far side the rest is cleverly constructed of large bolders etc these have since been replaced with a fence as we had many complaints the two species seemed to shared the same enclosure .

Old 16-07-2006, 05:04 PM   #28
Dazza
Adult

Great pictures darren, do they display the at all??

Thanks for sharing those picture, i bet you never thought by posting them you would become spokesman for the zoo, justifying way things change...LOL

darren
Dazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2006, 05:12 PM   #29
tortoise_dude

Darren, I think you have totally took this the wrong way. I didn't mean for it to be offensive, and i certainley wasn't putting the zoo down. I was rather upset and disturbed to see two species mixed together.
Ask yourself this, How was I supposed to know the tortoise had somehow gotten in, or been put in?
When i was there, there where i *think* two yellows in with a radiated. I did notice the big rocks, but i assumed, like anyone else did by the sounds of it (when you said people complaining species being mixed) there was another way that they could have gotten in, that was meant to be there.

I think you have assumed alot of bad things about the way I post, and that is the trouble with forums, you cannot put any expression in them, and they sometimes seem rude, when they are infact not meant to be. I knew the zoo is great, and they really contribute to keeping species being extinct etc. and that is why i was upset when i seen two species mixed together. I do remember why i think they where labelled reds now, I thought they where reds by looking at them, then i seen the sign that said yellow footed- and i was getting it mixed up.

I hope you realise that i think chester is a great zoo, and i was not putting you down in anyway. Infact, i was congratulating you more than anything, because I assumed that you had recently gotten a job to do with torts at the zoo, and had recently changed it (between the time I visited and now)
Old 16-07-2006, 05:13 PM   #30
piglet
Adult

Moormax ;what section you hopeing for wednesday, the reason the area was closed off is the reptile department is shutting down slowly and being distrubuted throughout the zoo , the new orang-utan exhibit will also house 17? reptile exhibits hosing asian endangered reptiles mainly monitor lizards and fresh water turtles ,the old building will stil be used for an off show exhibit breeding holding area

Dazza ;They have Radiateds,Galapagos,elongated and nine 2006 bred kleinmans on show the stars ,yellowfoot juveniles adult klienmans and pancakes are off show together with several different freshwater turtle species

Darren