Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 20-11-2016, 03:05 PM   #1
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

Question Indoor temperatures

Hi

I'm interested in views about the temperature required for med species such as hermanns. I noticed that Terry recently posted that 23C is enough in some cases. This is lower than the guidance often offered but I know Terry won't be saying this without a good reason.

So, what temperatures do keepers find work well for hermanns indoors e.g when over-wintering?

What I do is to have the hotspot at about 30 or 32C but this is only for part of the day because I've found that they really don't need this kind of heat for anything like 12 hours or more a day which is often stated.
Old 20-11-2016, 03:15 PM   #2
CherryBrandy
Adult

yes its a good debate to have. Up against a lot of posts I feel quite mean with my lot because over wintering and or summer I do not allow them to go above 30 degrees unless they are poorly. Then only 32 degrees. I have been a stickler for this for many many years. Even my Egyptian is kept at a steady 29 degrees and is very active for most of the day and eats for England. Bristol Zoo do the same and Tortoise Trust recommended up to 29 degrees. I suppose its because they all seem to flourish in this heat range 25 - 29 so have always maintained that - also I think if they go out into the English weather they need to know whats going to hit them. The greenhouse can get to 59.2 degrees and my Horsfields lap it up but equally won't stay around any length of time and most of mine will seek out shade with anything about 35 degrees after a short period, CB
Old 20-11-2016, 03:35 PM   #3
sandy
Adult

My tortoises are not indoors any more and have not been for over 20yrs. But even outside in the GH, I dont have the heat on all day during colder weather.
I put it on around 7am until midday. As by then they have warmed up and can cope with most temps then.
When they were indoors (hatchlings as I have never kept adults indoors) I didnt have the heat on all the time, again from around 7am until midday. As the house had warmed up some, and I dont believe anymore that tortoises need the same temps all day. They certainly dont in the wild, so why in captivity.
A lot of temperature depends of course where you live, and what the weather is like in your area.
I live in the SE and temps are probably better than else where. Terry lives in Jersey so temps there will be higher than the UK mainland.
Watching and looking at tortoise habits, should be more of a guide than what is written on some sites.
You cannot get better than experience of where you live when it comes to temps. There is no fit for all:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2016, 06:10 PM   #4
terrypin
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozric Jonathan View Post
Hi

I'm interested in views about the temperature required for med species such as hermanns. I noticed that Terry recently posted that 23C is enough in some cases. This is lower than the guidance often offered but I know Terry won't be saying this without a good reason.

So, what temperatures do keepers find work well for hermanns indoors e.g when over-wintering?

What I do is to have the hotspot at about 30 or 32C but this is only for part of the day because I've found that they really don't need this kind of heat for anything like 12 hours or more a day which is often stated.
I feel I should defend myself here. What I said was in my opinion 23c was sufficient as a daytime background temperature. I have also said that I supply them with a basking spot for about 6 hours a day and certainly for no more than 8 hours spread over a couple of sessions. The basking temperature for meds is 32c which I believe is what most will advise. I also agreed with Sandy on 15c as adequate overnight. Sandy like myself based her advice on what she has experienced with her own animals over many years.
Old 21-11-2016, 07:53 AM   #5
terrypin
Adult

What has been posted is what happens with information when an opinion is expressed based on that persons experience. Then it is reposted with just the basic information . I think in this case and many others you can see how information could be easily misunderstood. What I said and meant in fact was 23c was sufficient as a background temperature during the day when the basking spot was turned off. I do supply a minimum of 12 hours a day of daylight for my tortoises when they are in their table. Apart from this background heat I only supply them with a basking spot of 32c for a maximum of 8 hours and often less.. All over the internet you will see advice given. "Tortoises need a minimum of 12 hours with their lamps on". I wonder how many hatchlings have lost their lives to dehydration and trying to pass solid urates because this information has been misunderstood.
Old 21-11-2016, 05:49 PM   #6
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

Hi Terry my reading of your other post wasn't quite clear but it's totally clear now and thanks for that.

My suggestion is that background temperatures below 23C are OK in some instances depending on the availability of basking spots and daylength etc.

Most sources of information say that a med tortoise has to be at 30C or 32C for digestion but of course that is the temp of the tortoise itself not the substrate. I think we've agreed that temps up at 30C+ are not routinely needed for 12 hours plus per day.

Thanks again everyone for your replies.
Old 24-11-2016, 06:55 PM   #7
CherryBrandy
Adult

yes agree Jonathan. in fact my lot perform perfectly ok at 10 degrees overnight. they are used to the steppes of Russian of course. and Desert is even colder. I have noticed if I leave a moonlight on some go under at night and it does take the edge off even 22 degrees and others go to far end of tortoise table at 16 degrees and if my older ones are up they will even go outside of this in the 8 - 10 degrees zone. Lights on around 6 hours a day but I regulate dependent on seasons - can't fool a tortoise after 200 million years of evolution. CB
Old 24-11-2016, 07:58 PM   #8
Suze65
Adult

I think if you let a hatchling cook all winter at 32c and most of the summer too ( if they are indoors still) they are very likely to dehydrate, as I found with my little one that I gave to a friend ( Pickle) I don't want to bore you with the details again, but she was literally cooked for 6 weeks, and when she came back to me , was shrivelled. I kept her at no more than 31c basking temp, and I switched of the basking light by early afternoon, but left her uv on, so she only had the room temp for the rest of the day, and I got her shell growing nicely again.

Actually the basking temp was often at 29/30c and she was fine

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012

Last edited by Suze65; 24-11-2016 at 08:00 PM.
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote