Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Breeding and Incubation

Old 28-09-2012, 10:21 PM   #1
SeeShell
Adult

Default Incubation Advice

This is the first year my male THHerc has been in with my three ladies. A couple of days ago I found 2 eggs that Evie had laid on the top of the soil. Unfortunatley they were damaged as others had stepped on them. I wasn't expecting eggs so quickly but am really pleased they were laid but sad I missed the chance to incubate. I didn't see any of the usual signs to look out for. Anyway I'll be ready nexty time! They are indoors at the min because the weather here is really lousy (cold and wet) and the eggs were laid indoors. I've made a couple of mounds of deeper soil near the heat / uv lamp incase any more are laid. Is there anything else I need to do? Also I've been looking at incubators -the Zoomed reptibator was one I liked the look of. Does anyone use this and will it be ok? I might not get anything else this year but keeping my fingers crossed!
Thanks
SS
Old 03-10-2012, 12:07 AM   #2
Kirkie
Adult

My Hercs aren't particularly fussy layers. They get a bit hyper for a day or two, lots of basking and then lay. I build them nest sites indoors; either a box about 8 inches deep or I use plastic dog baskets filled with soil and a little sand mixed topped off with a heat lamp. This gets a couple of pints of water stirred in each day.

If you do get eggs I'd incubare them at 29C first time round. More sucess is had with lower temperatures and you still get a good percentage of females at this temperature.

I havent used the incubator you mention, a hovabator works fine.
Kirkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 03:51 PM   #3
TortBabe
Adult

Aww shame about the eggs Will email you soon Corra
Old 04-10-2012, 10:23 PM   #4
SeeShell
Adult

Thanks Kirkie. I think that seems to be the pattern of mine too.

Thanks Clare - spk soon xx