Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 28-05-2013, 08:25 AM   #1
RacingSnake
Hatchling

Send a message via MSN to RacingSnake
Question Ramming and biting....

Ok,
I've read through a few threads on here, but looking for some thoughts.

Our 2 boys (originally thought to be females) have been humping each other for the year or so (they're about 2.5years old now).
I've (mostly) let this go on, as neither seemed too bothered by what the other was doing.

I then caught them nipping at each others legs, usually in the morning just before I fed them... this has been going on for probably 6 months or so.
Again, both gave as good as they got, neither had any marks from it, and neither seemed particularly fussed and it wasn't all the time.

Then this morning, for the first time I saw them ramming each other
Originally when I saw these threads of people talking about ramming I didn't think about it, and thought that people meant humping
But seeing them properly head-butt each other was a little worrying!!
I am amazed how such a small animal can 'throw' their weight forward so quick and in such a short distance!!

Anyway, again, they were both giving it back to each other so I went and moved them apart - neither had any marks on them, and after moving them apart they didn't immediately run back and start scrapping again.

In the new house (not yet delivered), I have got one big enough to separate them if I have to, but I really didn't want to do this....

So my rather obvious question is!... should I really be considering separating them?

Will they ever establish a natural dominance between them and stop?
    {_}-{_}                    {_}-{_}
RacingSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2013, 08:30 AM   #2
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacingSnake View Post
Ok,
I've read through a few threads on here, but looking for some thoughts.

Our 2 boys (originally thought to be females) have been humping each other for the year or so (they're about 2.5years old now).
I've (mostly) let this go on, as neither seemed too bothered by what the other was doing.

I then caught them nipping at each others legs, usually in the morning just before I fed them... this has been going on for probably 6 months or so.
Again, both gave as good as they got, neither had any marks from it, and neither seemed particularly fussed and it wasn't all the time.

Then this morning, for the first time I saw them ramming each other
Originally when I saw these threads of people talking about ramming I didn't think about it, and thought that people meant humping
But seeing them properly head-butt each other was a little worrying!!
I am amazed how such a small animal can 'throw' their weight forward so quick and in such a short distance!!

Anyway, again, they were both giving it back to each other so I went and moved them apart - neither had any marks on them, and after moving them apart they didn't immediately run back and start scrapping again.

In the new house (not yet delivered), I have got one big enough to separate them if I have to, but I really didn't want to do this....

So my rather obvious question is!... should I really be considering separating them?

Will they ever establish a natural dominance between them and stop?

Until they have decided who is alpha male, this will continue:0) All normal when you have two males.
What species are they please?
As some species will bite, ram and fight without too much damage done. Others can cause damage to each other.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2013, 08:35 AM   #3
Catwoman63
Adult

Tortoises are strong little tanks, and when you see the ramming for the first time it can be quite shocking, they can actually tip eachother upside down, if they are 2 males then im afraid you will need to seperate as they will fight as i have heard that the males can do quite a bit of damage to another another male, i have seen photos of a male that had really bad damage from bites from another male. I keep my 2 males seperate and if they are ever together then its only when they are free roaming my garden as they have loads of space and sight barriers but even then i will supervise and this will only happen when i am at home to watch them x

0.3.0 - T Horsfieldii (Xena, Zelda & Lilly)
2.2.0 - TG Terrestris (Zeus, Astreus / Zagreus & Alexia)
1.2.0 - Zebra Finches (Gunner / Bonnie & May)
0.1.0 - SBT (Hazel)
1.0.0 - FBD (Ted)
Catwoman63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2013, 08:37 AM   #4
RacingSnake
Hatchling

Send a message via MSN to RacingSnake

They're Hermanns.

Annoying that I'll need to separate, as we've bought a nice big house for them and making a bigger enclosure, now they'll basically have a smaller space each
    {_}-{_}                    {_}-{_}
RacingSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2013, 09:46 AM   #5
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by stells View Post
I'd let them sort it out themselves... they are still small and won't do much harm to each other... put plenty of Sight barriers and hides in the enclosure and see if they sort it out between themselves. I have two old male graecas that have lived together quite happily for years.
I agree with Kelly, given enough space and hides, they will sort it out themselves.

Although if a female was introduced you might have more problems:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2013, 09:52 AM   #6
Suze65
Adult

I agree with Kelly and Sandy, they are both still very young, give them a bit more time and plenty of space, they might sort it out, but they might not, see how it goes.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote