View Single Post
Old 30-11-2015, 07:23 PM   #8
Suze65
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finsky View Post
Thank you for the warm welcomes girls!
Uhh..talking about 'bit' addictive....I have already found myself day dreaming of addition of teeny little crawlers!
I have never had any need to have babies, puppies, kittens etc. BUT, I just can't get over how interesting and cute looking young tortoises look.
I'm trying to keep my brain in charge and not give into my heart's 'baby' urges quite yet...lol...and I shall wait patiently until next year and see how Putin and I get on first.
Chap has now gone to his 'beauty sleep'. I wasn't going to let him do that at first, for not knowing his back round and as I have only had him so short while. BUT, he is total 'woodhead', decided he is not going to eat anymore, nor come out of his 'bunk'..no amount of heat, baths, lights etc. seemed to help and after taking him out of bed and placing him under lamp...he has just stubbornly been turning around and done sleepwalk back to his den. I couldn't argue with him anymore and because he has stopped eating and not pooing anymore, last night I started prepare for him his hibernation box..in which he moved today. Plan is to keep his winter rest fairly shortish..just to be on safe side..and see how we go on after that.
BTW...is there kind of 'good practice' or regulations with tortoises age, how young tortoise one can buy or they can be released for sale?...just curious..
I have already been busy body and posted some photos of Putin in 'photos' section.
If you have just got a tortoise, it's normally not a good idea to hibernate it the first winter, if you don't know much about its background , but if he has wound down you will have to go with it now, maybe only give him eight weeks. In terms of getting another one, male horsfields are better on their own unless he has a harem of females, and two males will most likely fight, they are quite aggressive, he will be quite happy on his own. But if you get another and keep it separately , there are plenty of breeders on here who would be able to help you.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote