View Single Post
Old 29-10-2014, 04:41 PM   #5
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK226 View Post
Hi everyone.

I have unexpectedly had to adopt my brother's horsfield/Russian tortoise who was being neglected

I have read a lot online and I think I know the basics. I don't think I have everything I need for him yet but will be getting what he needs as soon as possible.

When I brought him home he was in a guinea pig cage with a heat mat, sawdust and hay. They had been feeling him only on cauliflower and grapes.

As far as I have read he can't have fruit, only as an occasional treat? I have been pointed in the direction of some wonderful websites that tell me what he can and can't eat. I've found some suitable garden weeds. I know the heat mat is a no no so that's been binned. I used to keep guinea pigs and they weren't supposed to have sawdust because it is bad for their eyes and lungs. So I assumed it's the same for tortoises? That seems to be what I have read anyway. I had nothing in last night so used shredded paper but I have managed to get some top soil today (from a garden centre). I spoke to the vet who mentioned some special sand? However I can't remember what they called it. I also had a light but it didn't have a label. The websites I have been looking at seem to all say that he needs either a full spectrum light (?) or separate uv-a and uv-b lights and a basking lamp. I've been told that the light I have is just the UV light so I have bought another holder and a basking lamp. He seems quite happy under the basking lamp. I am unfortunately unable to get him a better home straight away (I wouldn't know where sells them so will need to order one online today) so have managed to find a large drawer at a used furniture shop. I've set him up in there with some topsoil (enough so he can dig about), a shelter type thing, the lights on one side and a cooler side. He has some lettuce and some safe leaves from the garden.

Umm I think that's it.

Am I doing OK? I've been so worried about him. I want to do the best for him. Is there anything else I need to know/do/buy? I'm trying to get the essentials for now then will get the other non-essentials as soon as I can.

Your doing great.
I wouldn't worry to much about a larger home just yet. Getting his conditions is just as important. And sometimes to many changes all at once can stress a tortoise out. So changing things slowly can be good.
Feel free to ask any questions even if they seem silly, the only silly question is the one not asked:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote