View Single Post
Old 10-11-2017, 05:25 PM   #2
emma_mcraf
Adult

Hi Bec,

I've only had a quick look at the photo but it immediately jumps out at me that the table doesn't look very deep at only 8''. By the time you've added the top soil, it isn't going to be deep at all. I'm not knowledgeable on Tunisians but if they can climb anything like my Hermanns do, it'll soon be out of the table!
You have the option of adding a lip all the way around the table but to be honest you could make your own table deeper and with a lip rather than have to change the one you've bought.

My second thought was how expensive the table was. If you have a little look through the housing threads, you can see how cheaply and simply people put together tables, costing a fraction of the price. Using bookcases has been popular and CherryBrandy has some great threads on providing lovely tables for her torts that can be made easily and cheaply.

The bedding area is often a wasted space. Torts much prefer to have the entire table to roam about than have that sectioned off bit. Mine will snuggle into a corner, get under a habba hut or wooden bendy log bridge (both cheap to buy) or just stay where they are and snooze away. The bedding part of a table is unnecessary as far as I'm concerned.

Good to hear you'll be using topsoil. The clamp lamp and combi lamp are fine but ideally you want your lamp to hang from an adjustable stand, so you can lower or higher it, to ensure the basking temp doesn't get too high in the table. As it's not too deep, I think that could be an issue with this lamp in this table, but I'm sure others will be along to give some more advice.

It's great that you're doing your research before getting your tort. Best to get it right before he or she comes home.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote