Thread: foods ...
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2016, 04:37 PM   #4
emma_mcraf
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBrandy View Post
I had to look up zinnia Emma, what a lovely plant. Looks a little like a dahlia.

I grew hollyhocks last year first time ever, they were awful ! grew lanky and fell over and the Tortoises just climbed over they till I took secateurs to them.

Taszia, I couldn't believe how easy nasturtiums were to grow ! Petunias not too bad but the rest rotted for me which can happen in the greenhouse if not right on top of it - clearly I didn't do it right so good luck ! I am going to try the scattering approach again this year.
Glad it's not just me that fails with Hollyhocks then.
Nasturtiums are the easiest thing to grow and they spread quickly. They come up again and again in the same areas I sow them as they self-seed. They do attract cabbage white caterpillars though. The kids have had a great time over the years watching the caterpillars go through the pupae stage and become butterflies, but you have to keep on top of them or they'll munch all the leaves. The beauty is that both leaves and flowers are safe for torts to eat and nasturtiums look so pretty.

Zinnia are pretty aren't they, CB. I'm pretty behind this year with flowers, though have sowed loads of weed seeds. We have the in-laws from Canada over this summer plus my hubby's uncle and his family visiting for a week from Sussex, so I think I may do a little cheating and buy some flowers this year for my hanging baskets.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote