View Single Post
Old 13-07-2016, 08:14 PM   #1
GemJam
Incubating

Default First Outside Enclosure

Hi everyone!

I am looking at creating my first outdoor enclosure for my 3 year old Hermann's tortoise. I have a large greenhouse and an area approx. 3m square to work with. 2 of the 'walls' are the fence and the third is the greenhouse and the fourth I need to create.

So far I have simply laid down chicken wire and put some soil down. And I have a number of questions to ask.

Firstly what is the best material to use to build the fourth wall? I realise a lot of people use wood, but I am worried about rotting. And I want to make sure I use a tortoise friendly and durable material.

What soil do you use? So far I have used soil from elsewhere in the garden, but I am concerned I will need something better to be able to grow my torts food and plants. I am using good old wickes top soil to grow her current food in, but a lot of plants don't seem to take to it.

My garden at the moment seems to be full of ants, what do you use to get rid of them? I assume there is nothing particularly tort friendly, she will just have to come back in her tort table. But I want to make sure I use something that won't last too long, so I can put her back outside as soon as possible.

I have looked at the pictures thread and I'm really excited about all the ideas flying around. And I'm yet to make any decisions, as there are so many options. But I want to get the basics right first.

I'm sure there will be more questions to come. Thank you in advance for your help

1 Hermanns Tortoise - Hettie
GemJam is offline   Reply With Quote