View Single Post
Old 04-11-2021, 02:35 PM   #1
Yvonne G
Hatched

Default Come on, you guys. . .

. . . it's too early for you to be brumating! Where is everybody?

Ok, I'll start:

I've finally gotten all my plants (mostly cactus and succulents) into the little greenhouse for the winter. Heater's all set up on a timer to only go on at night. Bring winter on!!

My tortoise partner was slow bringing up the two more night boxes so I can separate the three male radiata, so I've set two of them up in the cinderblock shelters I have on my carport, and the third is in his own night box. I've got my fingers crossed that the two on the carport don't fight because they're in the last of my extra heated shelters. (My tortoise partner lives in the San Diego area, which is a 6 hour drive from where I live here in Central California)

Far as the rest of the shelled group, everyone is set up for winter.

Update on the Manouria emys emys eggs - none of them hatched, and when I opened them up, they were clear. Oh well. This is a new-to-me female and male, and they'd only been here a couple months. I'm hoping for better results next year.

My original Manouria emys emys nested in June this year, and I was able to put 39 eggs into the incubator. Only four of them hatched, well, three actually hatched, one died after pipping. I thought they had hatched too early. One had a very large yolk that too a couple weeks to absorb, and one never developed eyes, so hatched with no eyes. The third seems fine. The little blind guy gets around his enclosure just fine. He finds the food and water, so he's received a reprieve from the executioner.

After many months, the road construction project in front of my house (widening the street from two lanes to six) is about to start. I received an email from the City engineer yesterday asking to set up a meeting between him, the contractor and me to talk about my new driveway. I'm very nervous about this whole thing.

Other than all that, it's leaves, leaves and more leaves!!! I rake them all up and cover the box turtle yard with them, to give the turtles places to brumate.

Ok, I updated you on my 'happenings' what's going on with you all?