View Single Post
Old 28-05-2015, 05:33 PM   #9
Daryn
Hatchling

I think alot of folk see the weather forcast for their area and think thats the temperature and thats it, this is not the case.

I have a spot thermometer and do alot of temperature readings in my garden. If you get low down in a corner of a garden that gets direct sun or against a fence you would be very surprised at the temperature difference. Try it, stand up in your garden then go to a sunny spot near a fence and crouch down.

As Sandy I have my tortes in a small kind of greenhouse, (coldframe) I recently posted what I set my tube heater at night at 5c, this is only incase we get a cold snap its not going to get that low this time of the year but better to be safe than sorry otherwise they use these little warming areas dotted around the garden to heat up and it works very well.

Tortoises are alot tougher than people think, look at them in the wild, they are outside in the winter, you get herman and Ibera tortes in Majorca my favorite place to holiday, they get snow their, they get terrible rain fall and floods in the winter, I have been over there off season and it gets very cold yet these little tortes survive in a shallow scrape. find a rock or a wind break in the sun and warm up.

My travel site and forum www.majorcaforum.com
Daryn is offline   Reply With Quote