View Single Post
Old 07-12-2011, 08:46 AM   #18
Arcadiajohn
Hatched

Hi everyone,

This is so frustrating! We have been actively trying to source transmissive material in sheet for at least 5 years. Every sample we get in both plastics and glass and despite promises is almost useless for captive reptile use.

I understand that the scottish company that markets "solarcryl" is probably the best option but I still have big hesitations.

NOTHING can compare to the sun! It would be so great to have a safe and protected enclosure for captive herps to spend time in direct and natural sunlight.

The issues with these plastics are, a huge cut in transmission of UV. And a massive % of degradation in this transmission in quite a short time.

For instance all of the plastics that we have tested have cut UV at best around 30% from new and then they fall off over the first month or two, right down to around 80%.

A forum user in the uk has been advising keepers to use a low iron glass from a very big brand. Again upon testing although very clear and light transmissive there was an instant cut of 43% in UVB.

Due to the wide range of solar meters it isnalso impossible to tell what wavelengths are being bloced. Worst case nothing at 297 would mean that the animal could struggle to complete the D3 cycle.

Now, mouldable plastics tend to fair better. In fact out 11w arc pod is shortly available in a transmissive form with a 7% 11w compact lamp. There is still a drop in transmission but only around 7-12%, so we up tye power of the lamp to compensate for the drop.

I sincerely hope someone cracks this issue long term!

John
www.arcadia-reptile.com/reptile-care-books

Please join us on Facebook, Arcadia reptile
www.Arcadia-reptile.com
Arcadiajohn is offline   Reply With Quote