Shelled Warriors Forums

Shelled Warriors Forums (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Possibe New Tortoise owner. (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=72615)

Ksolo 10-01-2015 06:06 PM

Possibe New Tortoise owner.

Hi all

Thanks to a lovely member of this site, "Pussygalore" I have found your helpful friendly site and look forward to becoming a regular member.

So for the last 3-4 years I have been thinking of getting a Hermanns tortoise, I would prefer a male if at all possible as they grow smaller and I don't want a large tortoise.

I have been researching quite a bit and joined another forum of witch I wont mention, but they where the most unhelpful pushy/controlling people ever and I was very nearly put off the idea of owning a tortoise after being told that it was cruel to keep a wild animal indoors.

I am interested and would appreciate help in setting up a tortoise table as this is the accommodation upon research I would like to use.

Many thanks for having me on this forum.
Keith

becciwales 10-01-2015 10:45 PM

Hello and welcome.
I've been on most forums, this is now the only one I'm on. I have 5 Hermanns. They're lovely torts xx

Ksolo 10-01-2015 10:56 PM

I must say this seems to be a lovely forum. :) I look forward to learning about these lovely animals.

emma_mcraf 10-01-2015 11:13 PM

Welcome Keith. This is a very friendly and supportive forum. You've certainly been pointed in the right direction for help in setting up a table. I suggest you have a good browse through the housing section. There are plenty of photos to inspire you. Feel free to ask any questions. There's always someone about to offer advice. :)

Ksolo 10-01-2015 11:28 PM

Do you think it would be possible to rehome a male hermanns? as I think I would like to offer an older tort a home, aslong as it came from a trusted home? Obviously I would pay for him, but I just think it would be a nice thing to do.

becciwales 11-01-2015 02:35 AM

I definitely think there is a market for rehoming males!
You need to make sure Hermanns over 6cms are chipped and have the correct paperwork. Article 10 Cites. x

mark r 11-01-2015 09:16 AM

Hi Keith,

welcome to the site, unfortunately youve found out not all forums are as friendly as they could be, dont let that put you off as this is a nice friendly forum full of people willing to help if they can.

a male tortoise would make a great pet, as becciwales has said over 60mm they need to be chipped and have to correct article 10 paperwork (or at least number) but if someone offers you one for free without papers and chipped thats ok as long as no money changes hands and should you need to let it go at a later date you would also only be able to give it away free.

becciwales 11-01-2015 11:11 AM

Oh sorry, I forgot to add that part! Thanks Mark x

mark r 11-01-2015 11:14 AM

I knew thats what you meant Becci.

Suze65 11-01-2015 11:54 AM

Hello and welcome, yes this is a friendly, helpful forum, I only do this one now and a FB group. We are not bossy or pushy lol . I think a male herman is a good idea, and you will probably find there's a lot of these up for rehoming, females are more in demand. Good luck