Shelled Warriors Forums

Shelled Warriors Forums (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Arcadia D3 Basking Bulb (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=74397)

Shaund123 13-03-2017 08:26 PM

Arcadia D3 Basking Bulb

Hi, first post here

I have just bought a Arcadia D3 basking bulb for my yearling Herman tortoise. I've set the the bulb to 12 inches away from the substrate but I am only getting a Temperature of 26c on the substrate, to get to 32c I need to lower the bulb to 7-8 inches from the substrate but read that this is no good for the emitted UV rays, ambient room temperature is 20-21c, could anyone point me in the right direction on what to do? Thanks

burnt toast 13-03-2017 11:14 PM

Are you sure its a 100w in the box & not the 80watt? (Its printed on the bulb) If definitely 100w I would give them a call tomorrow. I'm sure they will be helpful x

Ozric Jonathan 14-03-2017 12:10 PM

Yes I think Burnt Toast is onto something here. If it's the 100 watt then you should get the temperature up to the right level without having the lamp so close to the substrate.

The 80 watt on the other hand needs to be really close to achieve it. I think the 80 watt was mainly designed to be used inside a viv.

CherryBrandy 14-03-2017 12:52 PM

welcome to the forum Shaund ! You are actually about right if measured from the bottom of the bulb on a 100 watt as I have just tested mine. My advice is ten inches from bottom of the bulb will achieve the right temperature for a Hermann. Don't be too focused on getting 32 degrees as this can depend on ambient temperatures , substrate content and moisture, torts moving round, air flow and where the table is placed. And of course the height on the top of the shell!! Aim for between 28 - 32 and it will be fine. I air towards 26 - 29 even with my little Egyptian who basks away her days. 10 inches bottom of bulb and higher is good, CB

Shaund123 14-03-2017 01:21 PM

Thanks for the replies! I haven't got other a reflector on the lamp itself. I've just ordered a 200mm Arcadia reflector, hopefully this will sort the problem out. Yeah it's definetly 100watt. Another question whilst I'm here. I've built a 4x2ft table for the tortoise and since I've put him in there it's sat and hit for 5 days without eating. Ive been giving it daily warm baths on a morning. Is this just him being shy/afraid of his new surroundings? Thanks Shaun.

Jan W 15-03-2017 09:51 PM

Just to say welcome to the forum,

Torts do seem to like their familiar surroundings and many owners, including me, have found they hide away when they are moved. As mine have grown I have enlarged their homes so have seen this on each occasion. When I moved mine outside I thought they would be running round enjoying the freedom, but no, preferred to stay in bed for a few days.

Ozric Jonathan 15-03-2017 10:12 PM

Hello and welcome Shaund123!!

Oops I got that one wrong - thanks CB fr putting the record straight about the D3 lamp.

Since I don't use them now I should know when to stay quiet..........

CherryBrandy 16-03-2017 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ozric Jonathan (Post 670879)
Hello and welcome Shaund123!!

Oops I got that one wrong - thanks CB fr putting the record straight about the D3 lamp.

Since I don't use them now I should know when to stay quiet..........

Oh no Jonathan ! I was surprised as you as I thought same, just I am sat next to one in the spare room and it had been on for a while. I does depend though because the ones with a thick slate slab underneath do reach higher temps - their little legs must get hot as they stick them in the air off the slate but it isn't scorching (that would be cruel and they would need sickies).

Shaun , I would keep an eye, weigh her and benchmark the weight. little ones warm up quite and warm down quicker. Too hot and they may aestivate too cold and they sleep. you will get a general feel but in the main hermanns tend to be pretty quiet little things at a young age and probably getting use to surroundings. I would try hand feeding her for a few days to entice her and let her know where everything is - keep them all close to her little house she sleeps in as she will then feel she has somewhere to scaddle to if frightened, CB

Shaund123 16-03-2017 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CherryBrandy (Post 670882)
Oh no Jonathan ! I was surprised as you as I thought same, just I am sat next to one in the spare room and it had been on for a while. I does depend though because the ones with a thick slate slab underneath do reach higher temps - their little legs must get hot as they stick them in the air off the slate but it isn't scorching (that would be cruel and they would need sickies).

Shaun , I would keep an eye, weigh her and benchmark the weight. little ones warm up quite and warm down quicker. Too hot and they may aestivate too cold and they sleep. you will get a general feel but in the main hermanns tend to be pretty quiet little things at a young age and probably getting use to surroundings. I would try hand feeding her for a few days to entice her and let her know where everything is - keep them all close to her little house she sleeps in as she will then feel she has somewhere to scaddle to if frightened, CB

Yeah she's been eating the past few days on a morning then going straight back to sleep for the rest of the day at the cold end. Hasn't been basking as far as I've seen though

CherryBrandy 21-03-2017 03:09 PM

I would put her under lamp every morning with food and a warm spray but leave her to do as pleases post that. Tortoises love peace and quiet and will gradually explore more and more - ambient temps will be up soon also so may see her more often ! CB