Shelled Warriors Forums

Shelled Warriors Forums (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Someone was in my garden last nite :(:( (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=37723)

TortBabe 18-08-2010 10:08 PM

Someone was in my garden last nite :(:(

I got up this morning, to discover someone had been in my back garden last night :evil::evil: My gate was unlatched, and the bin was moved. I think they have climbed over the fence and then let themselves out the gate :( And its pretty obvious to me what they were looking for :evil::evil: Thankfully they weren't out as its wet and very cool over here, but I am absolutely gutted, I doubt that I'll ever leave them out overnight again :sad: I can obviously put a security light up and a lock on the gate but if they want to get in that will not stop them. I blame the lads who work for the window cleaner, they break their necks everyweek looking at the enclosures :evil::sad:

yuna1971 18-08-2010 10:12 PM

You got your torts out there Claire....??

TortBabe 18-08-2010 10:18 PM

Thankfully No Rach, they haven't been out overnight this month as its too cold over here, but they have stayed out overnight when we've had really good weather :( I only put them out in the day if I'm in, as they are like my kids to me and I couldn't bear to lose them :(

Helen M 18-08-2010 10:20 PM

Maybe you should consider getting some security features in your garden? Perhaps a sensor light? and some serious locks on your back gate and tortoise enclosure? I definitely wouldn't leave them out overnight but if you get some serious locks and a sensor light it may put them off returning.

Helen xx

loublou95 18-08-2010 10:22 PM

Oh thats awful, lucky they weren't out there

16 shells 18-08-2010 10:24 PM

Sorry to here that Claire, anything like that does your head in. Have a word with the window cleaner's ask if any of there customer's have mentioned any intruder's, if you suspect them make it known in a round about way.

SeeShell 18-08-2010 10:28 PM

Sorry to hear that Clare. Some people??? :confused: At least you now know they've tried to get in and your torts weren't out thank goodness so you could have a think about security measures.This is a real worry for me too :( Unless your garden is very secure I can understand why people choose to take them in at night.
SS

TortBabe 18-08-2010 10:33 PM

As my torts are all still pretty small, they are in those Argos converted sandpits, with mesh covers, but when I get my permanent enclosures made, I think I will have covers made of heavy metal mesh or whatever its called. I also plan to get my fence made higher too, and locks on everything. Years ago people used to use barbed wire but I don't think that you're allowed to do that now...you know in case burglars cut their hands :evil: I'm mad as I should be able to have my torts outside overnight if I want them to be out, as its obviously better for them :evil:

Marly 18-08-2010 10:47 PM

Well the crap weather has actually been beneficial for once. So glad your torts were not out Clare.
This makes me so angry. Why should people have nail down everything to stop people stealing things????????? What makes these low life think they can violate peoples space and take what they want?????? Honestly I am spitting feathers here, so very angry.
Clare, words fail me at the moment, just glad they got nothing and you are all okxxx

TortBabe 18-08-2010 11:11 PM

Thanks Glynis, I've been mad myself too, I phoned my kids Dad this morning, he used to do a bit of community work with young hoodlums, he says he will put the word out that if anyone touches his daughters tortoises there will be trouble, and he says hes coming up to say to the window cleaners on Monday too, he is fuming. Its a disgrace, i'm having the bench my gramps made for his garden, I'd love to put it under my front window so the kids could have a little sit on it with their pals but I know someone would lift it :evil: