Shelled Warriors Forums

Shelled Warriors Forums (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Breeding and Incubation (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Moving eggs (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=74577)

Steve Graffham 19-08-2017 11:36 AM

Moving eggs

One of my hermanns laid a clutch of eggs yesterday and we are due to move house 120 miles away on Thursday 24th August. I normally place eggs in the incubator the same same day as exhuming them but I feel that this time I would be better deferring incubation until I can set up the incubator when we move.
I would be interested in other opinions as to whether or not I am doing the right thing or would I be better placing the eggs in the incubator now and move the incubator with the eggs hopefully chalked up.
The eggs are currently being stored in a room at about 20 degrees.

CherryBrandy 19-08-2017 12:05 PM

Steve, I am no expert but I would say incubate and then move into a secure box to travel, with incubator packed away and don't worry about heat loss for a day but may be more crucial to keep warm / humid now. this is only based on the fact that Gordon gave me two eggs and I had them in a secure box for a long car journey also and they were none the worse off but think the initial warmth over a period would have helped. developmental stages...but will bow to others knowledge CB

Gordon 19-08-2017 12:25 PM

Incubate them and when you are due to move fill a tub half full with vermiculite sit the eggs in it then cover them over with more vermiculite and the will be fine.
120 mile trip will be no problem.

tortydat 19-08-2017 03:40 PM

Agree with what's been said above. I have had to move incubating eggs several time and there has never been any problem.

Steve Graffham 20-08-2017 10:45 AM

Thank you

Thank you all for your helpful advice. I have now placed the eggs in the incubator.

Kind Regards

Steve

burnt toast 20-08-2017 08:17 PM

I have moved eggs, admittedly much later than yours. Usually when they are due to hatch whilst I am on holiday! I do exactly what Gordon said ( carry mine in a microwave steaming pot! Air holes in the top & rubber bands to hold the lid on!)

Steve Graffham 23-09-2017 09:58 AM

Update on eggs which were moved

Following the moving of newly incubated Hermanns eggs 120 miles to our new location, I'm pleased to say that the developing eggs appear not to have suffered any ill affects at all and that the embryos are progressing nicely.
Many thanks again for the helpful words of advice.

My wife said that it was the smoothest journey that she has ever experienced when I am the driver!

Kind Regards

Steve

tortydat 23-09-2017 10:23 AM

That's really good news and look forward to seeing pictures of your new babies. Good luck in your new home. Mary

Jan W 23-09-2017 07:41 PM

I also look forward to the update.

Hoped you are enjoying your new home. Probably lots of work!

summerangel 25-09-2017 08:19 PM

Excellent news, glad you had a smooth journey :lol: