Shelled Warriors Forums

Shelled Warriors Forums (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Ant control help please (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=49712)

zx4g 29-04-2012 05:19 PM

Ant control help please

Please Help, my indoor tort table is infested with
Ants, we'v (my OH) emptied the soil and cleaned the table
But if I put new soil back in the ants will soon
Be back, what can I safely use to kill the ants
That keep coming in to the lounge where I keep
my table? Is it ok to put ant powder on the lounge floor?
Or could this poison my torts?
Thank you

burnt toast 29-04-2012 05:31 PM

Ant powder is highly unsafe for torts! Boiling water or limestone flour kills ants, but you have to keep at it! See what others suggest but dont use sprays of chemicals

alley cat 29-04-2012 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by burnt toast (Post 541600)
Ant powder is highly unsafe for torts! Boiling water or limestone flour kills ants, but you have to keep at it! See what others suggest but dont use sprays of chemicals

I never knew that Limestone flour can be used to kill ants! Thats a handy tip, thanks :-D

zx4g 29-04-2012 05:54 PM

Thanx, can't use the water as I have new
laminate flooring in the lounge, but will try
the limestone, thank you.

wigwamman 29-04-2012 05:58 PM

any ant powder or spray can be used around the house to keep the ants out but keep it away from pets

suttysue 29-04-2012 06:03 PM

My Mum & Dads bungalow use to full of ants every summer it was a nightmare. They rang the Pest Control Dept of thier local Council and they sent a guy round, this guy went round the whole bungalow both inside & out spraying the edge of the carpet inside & the edge of the bungalow outside. It worked & we havent seen any since.
good luck
Sue

Easter Bunny 29-04-2012 07:44 PM

Couldn't you spray or powder the outside wall where they're comming in?

They normally march along in a single line so you can follow the line back to where they're getting in x

Pussygalore 29-04-2012 07:56 PM

did they hatch/come in with the soil or are they comming into the house from outside, if the soil isn't sterilised you can get ant eggs which will hatch in the soil. If they have come in with the last lot of soil then I suggest you buy your soil from elsewhere or make sure it says sterilised on the bag, I use a product called tortoise life which although more costly is a ready mixed product and should never have anything unwanted hatch. I'd also say that the weather being so cold is wrong for outside ants to be hatching.

zx4g 29-04-2012 08:52 PM

Thanx for your replys, I will dust the outside as soon as this storm passes, its been non stop rain today. I did think it's the soil but i'm using wickes sterile top soil, which I think is ok? I can still see some running arround the table now but at least it's Easyer to clear them out now the table is empty of substrate. They really don't like the limestone powder, iv put a small amount down and they won't walk on it but it does not seam to kill them?

Easter Bunny 29-04-2012 09:12 PM

I know vinegar kills ants, mix a solution of part water, part vinegar and spray. x