Shelled Warriors Forums

Shelled Warriors Forums (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Feedback/Suggestions/Problems (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Welcoming new keepers (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=74316)

Ozric Jonathan 10-01-2017 01:33 PM

Welcoming new keepers

Hi all

we get new people signing up for the forum every day but very often we never hear from them. Or they post a couple of times then nothing.

Some folk are just looking for a bit of info or perhaps are just a bit interested in getting a tortoise and then decide against or whatever.

But surely a lot of them are really quite interested but for whatever reason don't get involved in the forum.

We can all see who the newest member is. I might try sending a welcome PM just saying hello and maybe include a couple of bits of info. I know the person won't be able to reply to a PM but if they get one they might think 'oh someone has noticed me and made an effort so perhaps this bunch are friendly'.

What does anyone else think? Maybe it can't do any harm? Or would I seem to be putting myself into some kind of position which in fact I'm not, such as some kind of official SW person?

JerryMaffz 10-01-2017 02:55 PM

Can't do any harm, Jonathan..I guess many new members are looking for information which they can access without interacting.
However, by getting them involved they are able to offer opinions and ask questions in the future that may give a new and refreshing take on keeping.

Gordon 10-01-2017 06:15 PM

Things have been very quiet recently but that's probably because most people's torts are all tucked up asleep which is one of the reasons I have a few different types so I have some to keep me going over winter.
I'm even off to get another at the weekend so will be getting the camera out and putting some pics up.:grin::grin::grin:

Ozric Jonathan 10-01-2017 08:47 PM

Looking forward to photos of the new one Gordon!

burnt toast 10-01-2017 09:13 PM

I think thats agood idea Jonathon, make them feel welcome.

Can they receive pm,s with less than 5 posts?

I think its amazing when you think how many used to use this forum :( where have they all gone?:(

burnt toast 10-01-2017 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordon (Post 669687)
Things have been very quiet recently but that's probably because most people's torts are all tucked up asleep which is one of the reasons I have a few different types so I have some to keep me going over winter.
I'm even off to get another at the weekend so will be getting the camera out and putting some pics up.:grin::grin::grin:

Uww exciting, do tell?? :)

burnt toast 10-01-2017 09:20 PM

Just noticed its Dannys birthday. What ashame he doesnt come on any more. :(

emma_mcraf 10-01-2017 10:02 PM

I think it's a great idea Jonathan.
It would be so nice to have a thriving forum again. Sometimes life seems to have taken over, probably for a multitude of reasons but there's definitely people I miss being on here. I'm personally having a bit of a digital detox so spending far less time online. I love popping by here though. :-)

G, you love keeping us in suspense wondering what you're getting next. Can't wait to see your new arrival.
How are the twins doing?

Jan W 10-01-2017 11:16 PM

Good idea.

I really enjoy the forum, never tire of seeing photos.

It is interesting to see how many people look at the posts and also the number of people looking at the threads at any one time.

Suze65 11-01-2017 10:15 AM

Great idea Jonanthan, we must all make more effort to make new members stay. I think Gordon is right, it's a bit quiet in winter cos most peeps torts are tucked up for the winter, and leading up to Christmas everyone gets a bit busy, or ill. But spring is not far away and I'm planning the tortoise garden for the summer, I like to upgrade and make changes every year. Let's start a new thread about our plans for the spring in our tortoise gardens, I love to hear about your ideas, let's share.