Shelled Warriors Forums

Shelled Warriors Forums (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Urgent help please (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=72480)

bevvyh 20-11-2014 03:32 PM

Urgent help please

I have a horsfield Tortoise.. I bought her when she was six months old... I have had her for four months.. and all has been well... I did lots of research and her temperatures are fine.. she is on a tortoise table.. i have checked the veg and weeds she is getting are safe and it is sprinkled with calcium dust.. she was eating really well up until a couple of weeks ago and she then started to go off her food becoming less active... still pooping ok.. so i wasn't too worried.. today she didn't move at all i went to make sure she was ok and i think she might be Dead.. her head is completely inside her shell and touching her limbs get no response..... I do have a bearded dragon so am a little bit used to keeping reptiles.. but i am distraught!!!.. could she be hibernating so early... how can i be sure she is deceased? what on earth could have killed her?..... I love my reptiles so am just hoping she is asleep but my brain tells me she is too young.. PLEASE HELP!!!... any advice much appreciated!!!!..

A very very sad ..... Bev..

egyptiandan64 20-11-2014 10:11 PM

Has there been any movement since you posted? You can gently pull on a front leg to see if she pulls back.

Danny

veggie86 21-11-2014 08:49 AM

:( Any news today? Hope she's ok. I didn't think they could deteriorate that quickly?

Suze65 21-11-2014 01:34 PM

Any news today.

bevvyh 21-11-2014 04:30 PM

thanks everyone... unforunately she did die... i think i have paid the price for buying a baby tortoise from a pet shop....I know i was so careful with heating lighting and food....I am unsure if i will get another....

thanks again.

suttysue 21-11-2014 07:15 PM

OH NO, the poor thing you must be gutted at the thought of losing her.
Have you got any more news ?
����

Pussygalore 21-11-2014 07:20 PM

I think like most wild animals they will try to hide being ill untill they die otherwise they would be seen as easy prey for another animal. I had a hatchling die once and although it never was exactley thriving it was fine and eating one minute and a few minutes later dead. Its horrible loosing any animal but having had the tort for such a short while I doubt it was anything the owner did and could even have been hatched harbouring something.

Suze65 22-11-2014 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pussygalore (Post 648102)
I think like most wild animals they will try to hide being ill untill they die otherwise they would be seen as easy prey for another animal. I had a hatchling die once and although it never was exactley thriving it was fine and eating one minute and a few minutes later dead. Its horrible loosing any animal but having had the tort for such a short while I doubt it was anything the owner did and could even have been hatched harbouring something.

Agree, it could have been hiding something since you got it, or even hatched with a problem. So sorry.

veggie86 22-11-2014 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bevvyh (Post 648099)
thanks everyone... unforunately she did die... i think i have paid the price for buying a baby tortoise from a pet shop....I know i was so careful with heating lighting and food....I am unsure if i will get another....

thanks again.

So sorry hun :( Run free little tort x

becciwales 23-11-2014 04:52 PM

I'm so sorry. Sending hugs x